FEA – Community Call: COVID-19 through the Lens of the Three-Circle Model
November 19 @ 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm EST
In this community call, join host Susan Brown as we discuss how the pandemic is impacting and shifting the interests of family members and key non-family executives in each of the three circles. As strategic advisors we know that what impacts one part of the system will have a ripple effect throughout the enterprise. How do we help, support and prepare our clients to address these complicated challenges that need technical, relational and emotional responses across the system.
Thoughts and questions for discussion:
- The family often identifies with and has emotional ties to the business. They want the business to span many generations and are usually willing to do whatever it takes to keep it going in hard times.
- How will financial instability in the business and the threat of insolvency, employee redundancies impact the family and ownership circles?
- Each family member will have a different relationship to the virus, how they perceive risk, process and trust the information. They will make different choices and have different needs that will impact the family and the entire enterprise.
- How do emotions flow through the system during times like these and what is the potential impact on each circle?
- Are there new paradoxes that are arising within the family enterprise system as a result of the current pandemic or crisis? What might these be?
- How can particular governance structures and policies help in times like these?
“With the pace of change, globalization, technological advancements, and disruption around the world, the changing environment will continue to shape businesses, ownership groups, and families. And the Three-Circle Model will continue to accommodate this evolution.” – John Davis
For some family businesses the challenges and invitations offered by the pandemic can allow them to emerge stronger than ever, both as families and as enterprises. “Continuity Family Business Consulting”
Thursday, November 19, 2020
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM EST
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM AST/ 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM CST/ 11:00 AM -12:00 PM MST/ 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM PST
Online via Zoom. A Zoom meeting link will be emailed to registrants prior to the event.
FEAs who attend this event will receive 1 continuing education credit toward their FEA designation annual requirement.
Who Can Attend
This call is for FEAs by FEAs.
A short evaluation will be sent out after each call that will include a request for topics of interest to FEAs and a call for FEAs wishing to host.
Susan J. Brown CLU®, FEA, CFP®, CIM®, RRC®
Susan is the owner and principal advisor of Propel Financial Life Management and Propel Insurance and Advisory Inc. in Calgary Alberta. She is an investment advisor through Holliswealth®, a division of Industrial Alliance Securities Inc. She is also a licensed Insurance Advisor in Alberta through Hollis Insurance. She has over 20 years of experience in the financial services industry prior to becoming an independent advisor. Through her two boutique companies here in Calgary she offers a comprehensive suite of financial advisory and consulting services tailored to business families. The processes and models she designs, help families stay focused on what needs to be done to align their financial decisions with their personal goals and the greater family enterprise.
Susan is also the creator and author of the “Joy’s Journey” book series which is designed to start conversations about money at home and in the schools.